This role is part of a joint project between the Nature Conservation Council of NSW and Arab Council Australia to engage Arabic speaking background people living in Western Sydney in climate justice activities.
We are seeking an experienced and driven Community Organiser, who is fluent in Arabic with a talent for engaging people in the community, developing leaders, inspiring volunteers to take effective action for nature and climate, and running training workshops.
Western Sydney Organiser
Western and Central Sydney as required depending on the work
3 days (22.8 hours) per week (0.6 FTE)
Organising Director, Nature Conservation Council
12 Month contract with intention to renew pending funding availability
$82,000 pro rata (SCHCADS award level 4.1)
Your key objectives will be developing volunteer leaders from the Arab community in Western Sydney, rolling out a training program, and supporting these volunteer leaders to coordinate action for climate justice. This will include:
- Supporting leaders to turn skills into action
- Recruiting attendees for volunteer events and training workshops
- Running training workshops on community organising and campaigning skills such as campaign planning, meeting with members of parliament and community outreach such as doorknocking.
You may be required to perform other duties as directed from time to time to suit organisational requirements and which are broadly consistent with your role.
The Nature Conservation Council of NSW (NCC) and the environment groups we represent have been winning protections for nature in NSW for more than 60 years. Today, we work toward a cleaner and more affordable electricity system, to end unsustainable tree clearing, to bring our rivers back to health, and to provide leadership on fire policy, education and ecology. You can find more information about our work as the voice for nature in NSW at www.nature.org.au.
The Arab Council Australia is a secular, non-profit independent community organisation working to bring about social justice and improve the lives of the most vulnerable people in the community. Based in Sydney, New South Wales, where the largest population of Arabic speaking Australians lives, we network widely and works in partnership with government, non-government and other structures. So, we play a pivotal role in advocacy and leadership, circulating information and developing and providing a range of welfare services, activities and events to our community. You can find out more about our work at www.arabcouncil.org.au
WE VALUE DIVERSITY
NCC is an equal opportunity employer, we know our capacity to drive change is increased when our team has a diversity of backgrounds and experience. We are committed to building on the perspectives, talent, experience, knowledge and skills that diversity brings to our organisation.
We are committed to diversity and inclusion and strongly encourage people of all cultures, genders, abilities, and experiences to apply.
We encourage you to apply even if you do not meet all the criteria listed below. Please indicate how your skills, talents and experience may be applied to meet the objectives of this role.
Talent & Capabilities
- Strong understanding of the practice of community organising
- Ability to recruit and manage volunteers
- Strong communication skills (English and Arabic)- including experience motivating people to act
- Strong alignment with our vision and a drive to achieve outcomes
Skills & Experience
- At least two years’ experience in a campaigning or organising role, community development or other community role
- Demonstrated project or event management skills
- Experience developing and delivering training workshops
- Knowledge of community networks in Western Sydney
Extra Points For
- Existing networks and connections with the Arab community
- Experience using NationBuilder or similar CRM software
- Understanding of NSW politics
We value our people and recognise their individual needs. Some of the many benefits of being part of our organisation are:
- Flexible work arrangements
- Access to long service leave accruals after five years
- Salary sacrifice arrangements
- Cultural leave
FURTHER INFORMATION & EMPLOYMENT SPECIFICATIONS
- NCC has a turnover of approximately $4 million a year;
- We operate under the federal Social, Community, Home Care and Disability Services Industry Award (SCHCADS) and this position is classified as Level 4 Pay Point 1 under that award;
- After-hours and weekend work will be required;
- The worker will be supported by both NCC and Arab Council Australia and will be expected to follow the Code of Conduct policies of both organisations.
- The preferred start date for this position is Monday 27th November
HOW TO APPLY
Applicants must have a legal right to work in Australia.
To apply, email the following documents to [email protected] by the Monday 6th of November 2023:
- A short curriculum vitae (no more than two pages)
- A cover letter addressing all the selection criteria (no more than 2 pages). Please include information that demonstrates how you meet the criteria.
For more information, contact:
Organising Director, Nature Conservation Council
(02) 9516 1488