We need you
We are seeking expressions of interest from people who want to become a representative on their local Bush Fire Management Committee. Many representatives have backgrounds in biological science, conservation, bush regeneration, land care and environmental community groups.
Bush Fire Management Committees (BFMC) occur in zones designated by the NSW Rural Fire Service, covering all of New South Wales and usually based on Local Government areas. These committees are a forum for the Nature Conservation Council, the NSW Rural Fire Service, Office of Environment and Heritage and Forestry Corporation of NSW, as well as other stakeholders, to work for the protection of life, property and the environment from bushfire.
Our representative is the environmental voice on the committee and ensures environmental assets are considered during the bushfire planning and implementation process. If you are interested in becoming a bushfire representative, please read the NCC Policy on Committee Representation, complete the NCC Representatives Application Form and email it to us.
What does it take to be a representative?
Representatives should have some qualifications or experience in conservation, natural resource management and bushfire protection. Some of our representatives are:
- NSW RFS volunteer members.
- Landowners looking for better fire management.
- Landcare and other associated groups members.
- Employed in other NRM-related fields of work.
- University students and lecturers.
You are expected to attend BFMC meetings and be actively involved in bushfire risk management planning by providing views consistent with NCC Bushfire Management Policy 2014. You are also required to keep in contact with the Bushfire Project Coordinator and provide regular updates on bushfire and other relevant issues in your area.
We are seeking expressions of interest in several rural and urban Local Government Areas including:
- East: Bankstown/Hurstville, Newcastle
- North: New Englad (Armidale), Tamworth, Gwydir, Liverpool Range, Narrabri/Moree
- West: Coonamble/Walgett/Bogan/Warren, South West Slopes, Mid Lachlan Valley, Barwon/Darling, Central Darling, Cobar and Far West
- South: Wollondilly, Shoalhaven, Southern Tablelands, Lake George, Riverina Highlands, Corowa, Lower Western (Balranald, Wentworth), Bombala, Mid Murray
If you are from another area but interested in becoming a representative, please email us.